Sunday, September 04, 2011

French Broad 'Grand Slam'

Now if you're reading this your probably think "what the h__l". You all know every famous piece of water has it's great goal. Tarpon, Bonefish, and Permit if you're in the Keys. One day while fishing the river I started thinking what would be a "Slam" on the FB (French Broad River)? And then what would be a grand slam? So with 'tongue in cheek' I set down some rules for this honor for one to bestow on themselves.

Slam = Any three species
Grand Slam = Any five species
Super Grand Slam = A musky and anything or just a musky.

All done on the fly. Preferably the same fly.

Well today I caught a Grand Slam prior to the rain totally staining the river red. Caught White Crappie, Black Crappie, Yellow Breasted Sunfish, Redeyed Bass, and Bluegill. All on the same fly. Missed a nice Largemouth Bass.

One crappie 'if I still cared' to submit the application was a citation. Big fish getting near to 3 pounds.

The Black Crappie was my first on a fly. One more for my fly fishing 'bucket list'. That list has grown to around 41 or 42 at last update. I am NOT a species purist!

All this ego stroking fun was ended by the rains increase and the rivers color turning a vile shade. With all this score keeping 'tongue still in cheek' I had a really good time and caught a lot of fish. Which might be the thing forgotten first when that all to human attempt to compare success in something that is totally unique each time tried.

Teachrtec out :)

No comments: